Sometimes, you may open an Instagram message by mistake. Chances are that you may not want the sender to see that you’ve read the message, so you wonder whether you can unread Instagram message instantly. This might be a message from your ex-partner or just a message from someone who happened to text you while you were using your phone, and you tapped on the notification while wanting to tap on something else.
Now, not all people know how to unread messages on Instagram or whether such a thing is even possible. Well, don’t worry – there are several methods that you can take advantage of to mark a message as unread on Instagram. We will present all your options below, so let’s get started.
Can You Mark Instagram Messages as Unread?
Yes, Instagram messages can be marked as unread. So, if you accidentally read a message from someone and don’t want them to know that you’ve seen it, you may immediately want to go back and fix this. But things are a bit tricky when you only have a personal account because there is no simple way to unread a message, like a button that will fix everything. Besides, once you’ve seen a message, the sender will see the read receipt whether you mark it as unread or not.
When you want to mark Instagram messages as unread, you will need a Creator or Business account on the platform. However, there are a few tricks that you can take advantage of, even with a personal account, if you want the message to look as if it has not been read.
How to Mark Instagram Messages as Unread with a Business Account
Messages can be unread on Instagram easily if you have a Business or Creator account on the application. There’s a pretty straightforward process that you can follow whether you have an Android or iOS device. Some people prefer one operating system, while others are fans of another. Each Instagram version has its own way of working, which is why it’s essential to follow the right process based on whether the smartphone is an iPhone or Android.
Let’s see how to unread a message on Instagram using your Business account.
How to Mark Instagram Messages as Unread on iPhone
If you have an iPhone and wonder how to unread Instagram messages, don’t worry – it’s very easy to do it as long as you follow the right steps. Here are some things you can do if you own an iOS device and wish to mark IG messages as unread:
- Open the Instagram application on the iOS device.
- Go to the direct messages of the app. You can easily find this section by looking in the upper right corner of the screen and tapping on the messenger icon. Another thing you can do is swipe to the left of the Instagram home page.
- Access the message you want to mark as unread. Then, tap it and hold it for multiple seconds. Soon afterward, you should get a pop-up window on your screen.
- Choose “Mark as unread” from the menu.
- There will be a blue dot next to the message, which marks it as unread. Still, the sender will be able to see the read receipt once you’ve opened the message.
How to Mark Instagram Messages as Unread on Android
When you own an Android device instead of an iPhone, the process will be a bit different when you mark Instagram message as unread. You want to do things right, which is why following the right steps is of utmost importance. Now, even though it’s similar, the Android process will allow you to mark multiple messages as unread simultaneously, making your efforts easier if you have accidentally read more than one message or want to remember to check multiple messages later.
Here is what you have to do to unread the messages:
- Go to your Instagram application.
- Go to the direct messages inbox of the app.
- In the upper-right corner of the screen, tap on the three dots icon, then choose “select chats.”
- Next, scroll through the conversations and tap on each message that you want to unread. This will allow you to make a list of messages that you want to mark.
- From the bottom of your screen, choose “More,” then select “Mark Unread.”
How to Mark Instagram Messages as Unread with a Personal Account
Not everyone has a Business or Creator account, but that doesn’t mean people with personal accounts don’t want to know how to unread a message on IG. Everyone makes mistakes, including people with or without Business accounts, but that doesn’t mean you need to change your account to be able to unread a message.
Sure, it will be a bit harder, but with a few tricks, you can mark Instagram messages as unread. This way, you will remember to respond to someone’s message later. Here are some methods that you can try out.
Alternative Method: Use Airplane Mode
Airplane mode is one of your alternatives when you want to unread an IG message. You will not have a cellular network or be connected to the Internet anymore – therefore, this gives you the power to see someone’s message without detection.
Follow these steps to make it work:
- Swipe down on your home screen from the upper right corner. It will show you the control center of the smartphone.
- Tap on the plane icon to activate airplane mode.
- Go to Instagram and access the messages. There will not be a read receipt next to your messages anymore, so you will do everything in invisible mode.
Alternative Method: Restrict Sender
Another thing you can do is restrict the sender, and the messages will turn into a message request when they get sent. What’s great is that the sender will be unaware that you’ve read a message. Here is what you have to do to make it work:
- Go to Instagram and access the sender’s profile.
- Find the three dots icon in the upper right corner. From the menu, choose “restrict”. Confirm your choice.
Alternative Method: Use Third-Party Apps
Can you unread a message on Instagram using a third-party app? The short answer is yes, you can. There are many applications out there that give you the chance to mark messages as unread. All you have to do is check the app store of your smartphone and find a suitable app.
But bear in mind that not all applications are legit, so don’t hesitate to spend your time doing some research before you commit. Some apps will be free, while others will require a fee.
Can you mark Instagram messages as unread? You certainly can, and your options are different based on whether you have a personal or Business account. If you do not want the sender to know that you’ve seen the message, you can try to restrict the sender, use a third-party app, or use airplane mode.
Meanwhile, a business account lets you mark messages as unread so you can check them again later, but the sender will still see a read receipt next to the message. Choose the best method based on your needs.